Date Issued: March 19, 2021
On March 16, 2021, a white gunman shot and killed 8 people, 6 of whom were Asian American women. Hanul and our fellow Korean American community continues to grapple with the pain and impact of this event.
This tragedy is not an isolated incident. In the last year, there has been a reported 150% rise in anti-Asian hate crimes in the U.S. due to racist rhetoric surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic. There is also a growing number of violent attacks against the Asian older adult population in places like California and New York. According to Stop AAPI Hate, Asian American women made up 68% of the reported incidents, showing how they are doubly vulnerable to the structural inequities of both race and gender.
Hanul Family Alliance was founded by Korean Americans to serve Korean American older adults in the Chicago area. For nearly 40 years, our organization has provided essential care to Korean American seniors and immigrant families in an evolving cultural climate in Chicago and the northern suburbs. The social and racial inequities in America adversely impact the populations Hanul is proud to serve every day. We see how these inequities hurt our community, from lack of access to social services to food insecurity due to generational and language barriers. We continue to stand with our community by advocating for their rights and quality of life.
We mourn for the victims of this senseless tragedy in Georgia, and we push for the power of unity through our fellow AAPI communities and BIPOC allies. Thank you to those who have reached out, acknowledged our pain, and saw us. We see your support and stand with you against systemic racism and discrimination by continuously speaking and fighting for our communities.
Here’s how you can show your support and advocate for Asian American communities:
- NAKASEC, UndocuBlack Network, and United We Dream are holding Immigrant Rights Movement Leader Call on Friday, March 19 at 7 PM CST
- Asian American Caucus of Illinois Virtual Vigil this Saturday, March 20 at 1 PM CST
- Asian Americans Advancing Justice with Hollaback! are holding bystander intervention trainings in response to anti-Asian harassment.
- Asian Americans Advancing Justice- Atlanta
- Asian American Advocacy Fund
- Comprehensive list of AAPI-led organizations to follow
REPORT HATE CRIMES